The Importance of Commercial Roof Inspections After Summer Storms
Summer is the time for soaking up the sun and laying out by the pool, but it also brings intense storms. Hail, rain, and strong winds can negatively impact commercial roofs, causing lingering damage that worsens over time and requires considerable time and money to repair. Luckily, scheduling a commercial roof inspection after a storm protects your building and prevents costly repairs.
Continue reading to learn more about how you can protect your business, including:
- Why get a commercial roof inspection after a summer storm?
- Common signs of roof storm damage
- Why you shouldn’t delay commercial roof repairs
- How Seal Roofing can keep your building safe and secure
Why Get a Commercial Roof Inspection After a Storm?
Summer storms can be particularly harsh, bringing pouring rain, lightning, hail, and even tornadoes. They have the potential to cause massive damage, such as puncturing holes or tearing up materials, which can lead to heavy leaking and other adverse effects. Getting a commercial roof inspection soon after a storm can help identify damages early on and allow them to be fixed before they can cause additional issues.
While ignoring a storm-damaged roof can be costly, both in terms of cost and the state of your building, a commercial roof inspection can save you money in the long run by minimizing repairs and extending the lifespan of your flat roof.
Common Signs of Roof Storm Damage
- Mold: Experiencing mold after a summer storm is a sign that excessive moisture is seeping into your commercial building, likely through a crack or penetration in your roof membrane. When moisture and bacteria are left to fester, mold grows in the corners of the ceiling. Mold growth is especially relevant throughout summer because temperatures and humidity are at their highest.
- Melted Roof Materials: While the summer sun can cause asphalt shingles and flat roof materials to melt to some extent over years of use, lightning can do the same but cause much more significant harm. Lightning damage requires quick attention to fix the area and ensure there aren’t any underlying issues with your roof.
Harsh winds and pelting rain causes wear and tear on commercial roofs. Prevent storm damage from impacting your roof with a free inspection from Seal Roofing.
- Holes and Penetrations: As your roofing material ages and becomes less durable, it can become riddled with cracks, holes, or other penetrations caused by storms. Damages can occur from heavy rain, strong winds, lightning, and even hail.
- Leaks: Noticing a leaking roof after a severe storm indicates that you need an inspection. Whether due to storm damage or natural again, leaks need to be fixed as quickly as possible to protect your interior. Most commercial buildings require flat roof leak repairs from pooled water that cannot drain properly, but sloped roofs can also experience leaks.
- Water Spots and Discoloration: Storm damage can cause water spots and discoloration in your ceiling as water pools. If your ceiling begins to sag, yellow, or brown soon after a storm, it’s a sign that you should schedule a commercial roof inspection.
- Torn or Hanging Roof Materials: Storms can knock drainage systems, shingles, and other roofing materials free, requiring repairs to restore functionality. Hanging materials can signify hail, rain, or wind damage.
- Dents: Summer hail can create dents in surfaces, including asphalt shingles, TPO roofing, and metal roofs. If ignored, they can cause small holes and more that lead to more significant issues.
Why You Shouldn’t Delay Commercial Roof Repairs
Putting off a commercial roof inspection not only delays the inevitable—it makes things much worse. What began as minor damage could worsen as more storms roll through, creating heavier leaks, damaging electrical wiring, and ruining the contents of a building, such as furniture or electronic devices. If the damage is extensive enough, a commercial roof replacement may be necessary, which is unnecessary and expensive compared to an inspection. The sooner an inspection is scheduled, the faster contractors can resolve the issue.
Health and Safety Concerns
The health and safety of your employees should be your top priority, and delaying commercial inspections puts them in danger. A storm-damaged roof can suffer from a compromised structure, which risks leaks and even collapse. Leaks that create puddles also pose slipping hazards for unsuspecting employees. Additionally, mold caused by seeping moisture can lead to health problems such as asthma, allergic reactions, and headaches.
Repairs increase the longer a commercial roof inspection is delayed after a storm. A heavy amount of repairs, or even replacement, can cause delays in workflow and disrupt productivity. Even if your building is still inhabitable during the process, it’s likely to distract employees and prevent them from operating at peak efficiency. Impacted productivity keeps goals and quotas from being met, resulting in a reduction in revenue.
If you suspect your commercial roof has suffered damage from a rough summer storm, don’t wait. The best thing you can do to protect your company assets is to contact a professional roofing service to perform a detailed inspection as soon as possible. With a sharp eye and the ability to perform any commercial roof repair you may need, the team at Seal Roofing is prepared to help.
Fortify Your Commercial Roof With Seal Roofing
When your commercial roof sustains storm damage, reach out to Seal Roofing. Our experts can quickly identify signs of storm damage, provide a cost estimate, and begin repair work to restore your roof to its former glory. As established commercial roofing contractors serving Delaware County and Montgomery County, we’re certified with every major roofing material manufacturer. We also offer emergency repair services 24/7 in case you’re ever in a pinch.
Seal Roofing has over thirty years of industry experience and offers various services for commercial and residential roofs, including roof repairs, replacement, maintenance, insurance claims, home services, and installation of multiple models. We’re only happy when you’re happy, so we won’t stop until your roofing problems are a thing of the past.
Has a recent summer storm impacted your commercial roof? We’ve got you covered. Contact us today to schedule a roof inspection guaranteed to protect your business.
Share This Post
Seal Roofing is a roofing contractor with a reputation for outstanding service, competitive pricing, and offering a full range of roofing services and solutions.
PA – #PA025662
NJ – #1835498
DE – #2009603095